CNN reported this week that the Pentagon has prepared a range of military plans for Iran in case President Trump decides to resume attacks against Iranian targets. The contingency planning continues even as Trump confirmed Tuesday he called off a planned strike scheduled for that day, after leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE urged him to “hold off.”

The dual posture — diplomatic engagement via Pakistan combined with publicly visible military readiness — gives the United States substantial negotiating leverage while constraining Iranian options. The Pentagon’s contingency planning reportedly includes scenarios ranging from limited precision strikes on Iranian naval and IRGC infrastructure to broader campaigns aimed at compelling Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and accept verifiable nuclear program limitations.

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has previously said publicly that the United States “has a range of options” for taking control of Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile. Hegseth said one option is Iran voluntarily surrendering the stockpile, which the U.S. “would welcome,” but added: “They weren’t willing to do that in negotiations. I would never tell this group or the world what we’re willing to do or how far we’re willing to go — but we have options, for sure.”

U.S. CENTCOM has continued increasing 5th Fleet rotations of ships and aircraft patrolling in and around the Strait of Hormuz. The naval posture is supported by enhanced coordination with the International Maritime Security Construct and the European Maritime Awareness mission. Trump previously warned that any mines placed in the strait must be removed “forthwith” or face “military consequences at a level never seen before.”

The U.S. has also discussed with Israel sending special forces into Iran to secure the nuclear stockpile at a later stage of the war, as Axios previously reported. Iran possesses approximately 450 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% purity, a concentration level that — with further processing — could yield material for over 10 nuclear weapons. Weapons-grade enrichment typically exceeds 90% purity.

Iran’s revised peace proposal continues to include transferring the 60%-enriched uranium to Russia rather than the United States. The U.S. has rejected the Russia destination and reportedly suggested an unspecified third country. Iran has previously stated through its foreign ministry that the uranium “will under no circumstances be transferred anywhere” — a position now apparently shifted in the latest revised proposal but still subject to ongoing negotiation.

Continuing coverage: Geopolitics · Iran · Oil Prices.